On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:14 AM, eflayer <eddie.fla...@att.net> wrote:
> I am both impressed and dismayed with the degree of commitment to a
> single point of view.  Whatever works works.  Thinking there was a
> time when Grant thought he'd never leave Japan for Taiwan...and that
> time came.  Granted, he is still making gorgeous lugged frames, now
> with cheaper labor.   If Riv does make most of the profits on parts,
> then why not sell another Riv branded entry price gorgeous tigged
> frameset so more customers buy more parts?  I see mostly upside for
> everyone and no downside.  Except if it divides attention and leads to
> a loss of direction.  But I'm betting a sharp marketeer such as is
> Grant Peterson could find a way to sell this kool aid to all of the
> naysayer in this group.

Ant, Waterford, Independent Fabrication, Moots - they all do lovely
work with TIG'd frames, and they're arguably beautiful bikes, but it's
a very different aesthetic than even the 'plain' single color Riv
frames. The move to Taiwan production was, i think, a pure matter of
survival. With the weakness of the dollar against the yen, they just
couldn't afford to do business.

I applaud Grant's stubborn aesthetic sense; he has a cohesive vision
for the company, and that strong visual identity is a huge asset. Like
Jim noted, there were many who claimed that Riv would be huge if they
could sell a sub-$1k frame. Well, they produced it in the Bleriot and
the following Taiwan-built bikes, and with each there's a small rush
of pent-up demand, then it's back to business as usual. Certainly it's
helping to grow Riv's market, but it's incremental. I don't have any
sort of sales info, but i'll bet that a large percentage of those
Taiwan frames are going to existing Riv customers as a second bike or
friend/spouse bikes, and not as much to new customers as you'd think.
That's pure guesswork, but based on some shop experience and lots of
friends on Rivendells.

The frames are the heart of the company. Most of us started buying
small bits from Rivendell long before we could afford a frame, and
accessories long after the frame, but it's that bike frame and the
ride that it gives that makes the whole package work. If you take away
the essential beauty of the frames, there's much less reason to stay
around for the parts and bags and clothes and everything else.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN