I'd rather walk the 9 miles when the 100 year storm of bike failures occurs
than constantly lug around the tools to deal with it.  Items I carry every
ride. Medium sized Multi-tool, 1 tubes, patch kit, tire levers, pump,
master link, presta/schraeder adapter, and two spare spokes that came
installed on the bike.  Of course, the more epic(:p) the ride the more
items added to the list.  In the past only needed allen/torx wrenches and
flat repair items (knock on wood).