I'll bet the Rivendell demographic is so diverse and scattered as to
defy marketing logic.  There are probably people riding Rivs who live
a student lifestyle (rent a room; no car) as well as fanatic bicycle
collectors (the more rare & exotic, the more interesting).  The bell
curve is probably pretty narrow in the middle (...'middle aged and
well off enough"....) with a statistically disturbing number of
outliers :).  Personally, I enjoy an inner chuckle when someone
comments "Wow, nice old bike!".

dougP