Good point, ie how much weight and for how long - for me, it's 10
bulky pounds normally, and then a few times a week closer to 20 lbs.
For approx 20 very hilly miles, but continuous, so not a lot of start
and stop; so I really notice the trail and steering issues when
climbing 10 - 13% grades standing with 20 lbs in the front. With those
20lbs on a back rack (and sometimes more, ie up to 35 lbs) I feel the
corresponding to front wheel flop sensation on the back, ie the weight
flopping the bike back and forth from the rear.  The front load on low
trail allows one to subtly compensate for this, so there is not a
waggle all over the road.  So....what'll happen if I replace the fork
(a bolt of lightening perhaps from Riv HQ?)