On 11/24/2016 10:51 AM, George Schick wrote:
If you can control the intensity, that might be OK. There's still the noise issue, but I guess ear plugs could be worn. I'm basing the heart rate comment on the American Heart Assn's max rate/age chart. In the late 60's, it says that 155 bpm should be the max and a max of 132 for the target rate. I get it cranked up out on the road, but am cautious not to over do it.

I think you are misunderstanding that chart. Max heart rate is not a "red line" you should not exceed lest your heart explode. Rather, it's a point where your heart "...'can’t eject blood effectively enough; where it’s not productive anymore,' says Dean Golich, head performance physiologist for Carmichael Training Systems. When this happens, self-preservation kicks in and you slow down." ( --http://www.bicycling.com/training/health-injuries/5-max-heartrate-training-myths-busted) Get up to your personal max heart rate (which can vary widely from that back of the envelope 220 minus age calculation estimation -- which is all it is) and you're going to feel like crap and stop.

If you've got a cardiac condition or have had a heart attack and have sustained damage to your heart, that may not be true; but if that were the case for you I'm pretty sure you would have undoubtedly said something about it, rather than voicing a general age-related concern.

In any event, in a spin class or on a bicycle, you control how hard you're going at it. As for noise, I'm sure it varies from class to class. There's nothing inherently noisy about spin bikes and there's no reason to have music so loud as to make you need to wear earplugs. This article http://fitfluential.com/2015/12/spin-class-101-how-to-ride-hitting-your-zones/ pretty much describes how it was when I did it - and if you're concerned about heart rates, note the comments about heart rate monitors (the article's sponsored by a heart rate mfg) and zones.

One time, about 20 years ago, IIRC, I got off work on a mid-Summer day when daylight hours were at the max and chugged out a 40 miler at an average of 18 mph. My heart rate was still elevated when bedtime came and I had difficulty sleeping that night.

If that's still true you might want to look into that.