On 11/24/2016 12:53 PM, Patrick Moore wrote:
Interesting discussion. I'll add a question: George and other aging has-beens, do y'all find that warming up is more and more necessary as you age? Yesterday, feeling tired from the hills on Wednesday, I went out on a 12 mile rt grocery run with one of those very annoying headwinds that is facing you no matter which direction you go. (Yes, you literal minded ones, that's a joke.) In fact, I think the wind was variable; it certainly was gusty. At any rate, I spurned a warmup in the 63" low on the errand Riv, and despite trying to hold back, found myself in that annoying state of feeling perpetually bogged in a slightly too-high gear (it was 70") even though at other times the gear seems low, even riding in winds. (12 miles? Tired? Pathetic!) It's my legs as much as my lungs that suffer, while at other times I'll blithely ride the same 70" gear up Tramway.

Anyway, I think that as I progress into my 60s, warmup is starting to mean /warmup, /and I have to be very careful to go slowly for at least 3-4 miles before riding even at my usual slow cruising speeds. 12 mph warmup.

Do y'all find this so?

Don't know about "aging has-beens" and I don't know about "have to," but I certainly want to - so much so that over the years it's become the normal and natural way I go about it. Something like 80-90% of the time I'm either riding by myself or I'm leading, so there's no reason not to and nothing preventing me from doing so. People who come on my rides and ride with me seem to be happy with that approach too -- of course, most of them are also "older".