On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 11:16:59 AM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On 03/09/2017 01:05 PM, Brewster Fong wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 9:29:31 PM UTC-8, Bill M. wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:14:48 PM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:
>>
>> On 03/08/2017 04:21 PM, Brewster Fong wrote:
>>>
>>> For my next bike, I'm planning on going etap "wireless" with mid-cage
>>> RD. I want to run 11-32 in the rear with a sub-compact double like a 46x30
>>> or 46x28.  Since I don't "tour" or carry a load, a 30x32 or 28x32 should be
>>> more than enough to get me up the hills around here! Of course, YMMV!  Good
>>> Luck!
>>>
>>> You can help that luck by making sure your frame has a round seat tube
>>> and uses a clamp on front derailleur.  Which pretty much means a titanium
>>> frame.
>>>

>> Or a Calfee.  Which, come to think of it, Brewster already owns.
>>

> Haha, my secret is out!  Actually, I'm thinking of getting one of these
> really lightweight carbon bikes to see what all the fuss is about. I see my
> buddies with these 14-15lb bikes with e-shifting and they're loving it!  I
> mean, take a look at the latest Trek Emonda. With not really stupid light
> parts, you can get a 10.25lb bike that supposedly has a weight limit of
> 275lb?!  Yow!  I doubt there are many here who are that heavy, but if so,
> there it is!
>

> The Calfee may have a round seat tube, but I'm pretty sure none of the
> Trek "Anagram" bikes do.
>

> I do agree that a round seat tube with a clamp on FD is ideal. However, my
> 90-ish Litespeed Classic ti bike has a braze-on FD hanger tab and I have my
> FD mounted at the lowest point for my 48/34 crankset.
>

> And some braze on mounting tabs have their slots configured to allow
> smaller than 50T big rings.  Many these days do not.  It is a limiting
> factor you need to be aware of.

Agree. At last year's NAHBS, I got into it with Mark DiNucci, one of
the premier builders at the show!  When I heard he was showing, I really
wanted to check out his frames. He didn't disappoint as he had 2 or 3 of
the cleanest bikes/frames on display:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kPQOrqCuwckm-exlTPpGukQhPT-sKfoTZB_RlC-uxvwKLAaamIisH6ft8t0Bjl49fX7zTMHrklzcRgtDrO8ZIAkLPq8Js6lb0VJXDqHjRC4k0b_F4mkGEQT9tjuTF-B0SmtrQmzg2RqmdX8IXFQ-5HstJR4KB_mIeUnXlGvD4DNZnCl5CFMi-gHo4bqdMpyhYJ6e6PgCuKFM5DWqc0H_qOYIW2tuRRBMZcs8-IyBwJPPYhGKQMJx7ChgQppYt2hwXDRXLTeRrjHl8zD4UFLGj1etwmZA33TqV9snOzwwOj_t4bkGPMdI3VIKJOl1PFX6NTBj3R7eVv_-FN7nogmJjetxeD_suXSxEAFLUEU_r4WlG9zEPWafiRzgUkrT_fvV_uKGHxJ8LgDkDWS0UnTffrWKg4SeBBB_N2TXyTCgWDGE9pEISQlQ5yeH62F7OuUGcYMczifibKHBSQSq9HrkMnteji2zoxBUKfO5TNOu31w_ka8xCG4tyTDGCUgUv7DU2-XfXoPaioReLpq7U7FRfU75-_HH3Xvv9CsNJ-MUVA3m2ZQN0RyfhwiLMzmHKc1kcXtJP_onFZPr-rVEnsOTTIuxAShfxX2k-afUggK6ad4jDgk0I2hFn9InubSN7UXK61DzGOxO6xb5dKEBI7BteGqvpXNlsKGr6EODLnOzAg=w605-h905-no>

<https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1450/24998049119_709088d918_z.jpg>

<https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1566/25247415832_af6f9b9c23_k.jpg>

Beautiful work especially the long thin lugs that just flow into the frame.
Gorgeous! But one question I had for him was whether I could get a frameset
without the FD hanger tab. He blew up! He asked why? I told him I wanted to
be able to adjust the FD to work with whatever crank I got. He then went on
about how they design the frame with the crank in mind and how the hanger
tab would be properly place!  Since he got animated, I let it go. But later
thought, I should have asked what happens if someone decides to change
their crank?  Let's say you are young "racer" type and want to use a crank
with 53/39 chainrings. Later, you get older and slower and want more
gearing so you go to 50/34 or 48/34.  Will that new crank if the FD hanger
tab? Let's say it does. Then a few years later, you want to go even smaller
like a 44/30 or 44/28?!  Will that tab still allow the FD to work with this
new smaller gearing?!

I guess if I ever get the money for a DiNucci, that is one of the questions
I'll be asking! Good Luck!