On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 12:59:50 PM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> [...]
>> Trek "Anagram" bikes do.
>>

>> I do agree that a round seat tube with a clamp on FD is ideal. However,
>> my 90-ish Litespeed Classic ti bike has a braze-on FD hanger tab and I have
>> my FD mounted at the lowest point for my 48/34 crankset.
>>

>> And some braze on mounting tabs have their slots configured to allow
>> smaller than 50T big rings.  Many these days do not.  It is a limiting
>> factor you need to be aware of.
>>

> Agree. At last year's NAHBS, I got into it with Mark DiNucci, one of
> the premier builders at the show!  When I heard he was showing, I really
> wanted to check out his frames. He didn't disappoint as he had 2 or 3 of
> the cleanest bikes/frames on display:
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kPQOrqCuwckm-exlTPpGukQhPT-sKfoTZB_RlC-uxvwKLAaamIisH6ft8t0Bjl49fX7zTMHrklzcRgtDrO8ZIAkLPq8Js6lb0VJXDqHjRC4k0b_F4mkGEQT9tjuTF-B0SmtrQmzg2RqmdX8IXFQ-5HstJR4KB_mIeUnXlGvD4DNZnCl5CFMi-gHo4bqdMpyhYJ6e6PgCuKFM5DWqc0H_qOYIW2tuRRBMZcs8-IyBwJPPYhGKQMJx7ChgQppYt2hwXDRXLTeRrjHl8zD4UFLGj1etwmZA33TqV9snOzwwOj_t4bkGPMdI3VIKJOl1PFX6NTBj3R7eVv_-FN7nogmJjetxeD_suXSxEAFLUEU_r4WlG9zEPWafiRzgUkrT_fvV_uKGHxJ8LgDkDWS0UnTffrWKg4SeBBB_N2TXyTCgWDGE9pEISQlQ5yeH62F7OuUGcYMczifibKHBSQSq9HrkMnteji2zoxBUKfO5TNOu31w_ka8xCG4tyTDGCUgUv7DU2-XfXoPaioReLpq7U7FRfU75-_HH3Xvv9CsNJ-MUVA3m2ZQN0RyfhwiLMzmHKc1kcXtJP_onFZPr-rVEnsOTTIuxAShfxX2k-afUggK6ad4jDgk0I2hFn9InubSN7UXK61DzGOxO6xb5dKEBI7BteGqvpXNlsKGr6EODLnOzAg=w605-h905-no>
>
> <https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1450/24998049119_709088d918_z.jpg>
>
> <https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1566/25247415832_af6f9b9c23_k.jpg>
>
> Beautiful work especially the long thin lugs that just flow into the
> frame. Gorgeous! But one question I had for him was whether I could get a
> frameset without the FD hanger tab. He blew up! He asked why? I told him I
> wanted to be able to adjust the FD to work with whatever crank I got. He
> then went on about how they design the frame with the crank in mind and how
> the hanger tab would be properly place!  Since he got animated, I let it
> go. But later thought, I should have asked what happens if someone decides
> to change their crank?  Let's say you are young "racer" type and want to
> use a crank with 53/39 chainrings. Later, you get older and slower and want
> more gearing so you go to 50/34 or 48/34.  Will that new crank if the FD
> hanger tab? Let's say it does. Then a few years later, you want to go even
> smaller like a 44/30 or 44/28?!  Will that tab still allow the FD to work
> with this new smaller gearing?!
>
> I guess if I ever get the money for a DiNucci, that is one of the
> questions I'll be asking! Good Luck!
>

> Going from the now omnipresent 35/50 to 39/53 is within the capabilities
> of the common hanger tab you find on many (most?) carbon road bikes these
> days.  The problem is going smaller than 50.  There may well be some, my
> experience with modern carbon road bikes is very limited, but the ones I've

 I bet most FD hanger tabs will allow a crank to go from 53/39 to something
with a 48/34 or maybe and this is a stretch 46/34 combo.

> As for future compatibility with other cranks and chain ring combinations,
> I'm guessing that's not an important consideration for bike designers these
> days.  Getting older & slower?  You'll probably need to raise your bars a
> bit too, and good luck with that if they cut your steerer so as to not
> leave any extra for future needs.   You need those changes?  Get a new
> bike.

Well, some mfrs are trying to address that. It isn't very "racy" looking,
but there are riser stems available for just that scenario:

 http://www.interlocracing.com/stems/satin-stem-318mm

Available in both 31.8mm and 26.0mm, these 35 and 17 degree rise stems
should be able to get those bars up nice and high!  If you need higher,
then your bike is too small! Good Luck!