Brewster: If you care to post photos and brief descriptions of your bikes,
I'd be interested in looking at them.

I used to have 1 bike with 3 wheelsets: 50 mm off road, 32 mm commuting,
and 22 mm gofast, all with the appropriate cassettes. Sure, it all worked,
but I was still limited by one bike: a bike that is optimized for dirt
isn't optimized for road, and vice versa, and a bike optimized for
commuting is not optimized for dirt bashing or gofast riding (Jan will
disagree, but I disagree with him, and the long-term existence of mountain
bikes and racing bikes backs this up). I finally decided that I needed a
road bike, and got one (that was the 1992 XO-1, set up as a gofast).

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Brewster Fong <bfd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand having only one bike, especially if you commute, tour
> or just ride a lot. I guess if a person is on top of maintenance and things
> don't break, it should work. However, I found that one bike, even with
> several wheelsets isn't enough. I have had things break when I'm ready to
> go out and didn't have time to look at my bike the night before. Unless
> space is an issue, having a second bike provides security by having a
> backup and also some versatility as you can even have more than one type -
> a commuter/tourer/all arounder type bike for everyday use and maybe a
> weekend bike for go-fast rides or off-roading.
>
> As a roady, my bikes then to lean towards the "go-fast" route and weigh
> between 15 to 19lbs. However, being the "fat guy" in the group, it really
> doesn't matter how light my bikes are as the engine is still weak. But I'm
> working on it.
>
> Otherwise, if you really can't have more than one bike, I agree that two
> or more wheelsets is the way to go!
>
> Good Luck!
>
> On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 10:45:25 AM UTC-7, drew wrote:
>>
>> All good advice. While i had considered a set of different tires, a
>> totally different wheelset+tires seems like it would do more to access the
>> bike's versatility in a convenient way. and then i'd have an excuse to
>> experiment with compass tires... interesting.
>>>

>> In reality, the sam may be better suited to my actual needs, but i love
>> the hunq more, and i find that touring with a bike leaves me deeply
>> sentimental about our relationship and time together, even if it isnt the
>> most practical in non-touring times. Selling it, i fear, would be almost
>> immediately regrettable.
>>
>> ill try to answer some of the questions.
>> -my roady friends aren't super roady, but a few have invested in nice
>> carbon or titanium bikes. when we ride, it isnt for speed or time, but i
>> have felt like im slowing them down.
>> -i also have a 1985 trek 870, and a miyata mixte.... also a 91
>> stumpjumper frame. none of them are essential or get ridden very much.
>>

>> --

*30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn,
and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10%
kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And
still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and
parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See
my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.*

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten