Just to clarify, by 'off pavement,' do you mean just dirt roads or narrow
trails also?  If you could find one, a Kawasaki KLR650 could likely handle
much of this.  But, as with anything, you will have trade offs based on
focus.  The more trail capable, the less road comfortable.  Think of knobby
tires for off road vs smooth tires for road riding.  There is also weight
to factor in.  A lighter bike may be more nimble off road, but is more
easily affected by winds at higher speeds on road.  A heavier bike would
handle higher speeds on the road better, but then not be as nimble off
road.  There are some that can do both decently, like a BMW R1200GS, but
they are likely out of your budget.  Even with this, the weight can be a
restriction off road.  A Suzuki V-Strom 650 can handle paved or dirt roads,
but would struggle on trails.  A Suzuki DR-Z400 would handle trails better,
but would be less comfortable at highway speeds.

Another factor to consider is saddle height.  They are not as adjustable as
a bicycle.  The larger, more off road capable bikes are often taller.  The
KLR 650 has a seat height of about 35 inches.  Do you weigh enough and/or
have an inseam long enough to put your feet down when stopped, especially
on cross-sloped terrain?  You might be able to slip off one side or the
other to put a toe down, but it would not be as secure as having both feet
flat on the ground.

I started riding motorcycles with the BMW F650, which would be similar to
the V-Strom 650.  It is considered a dual-sport and has a decent blend of
ability between paved and dirt riding.  I didn't ride it in the dirt and
did ride it some on the interstate.  That let to me 'upgrading' to a BMW
R1100RT and later to the BMW K1200RS.

Does your location require a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's
license?  If so, do you already have this?  If not, you may want to look at
taking a course.  The motorcycle safety foundation has courses throughout
the US.

If I were personally looking for an off/off road bike that didn't need to
handle trails, I would probably look at the V-Strom 650 or a BMW F650.
Other brands have similar dual-sport models in various sizes.  Here is a
list of some used dual sport bikes to help get you started.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/blog/2010/09/14/top-5-dual-sport-motorcycles/

Hope this helps.

Tim