The GPS once routed my Audi S4 across a grown over cow pasture in the
Missouri Ozarks.  It did it just fine, just needed to go slower.  A dual
sport bike would have had no trouble either.  Adjust speed as needed.  I'm
not sure you need an older bike.  A V-Strom 650 of 2009 or newer might be
obtainable within your budget, though initial ask may be around $4,000.
For comparison, the base price for a 2017 model would be around $8,800.
That may let a five year old model approach your budget.  It handles a mix
of paved and gravel roads fairly well and you can add some hard bags for
carrying more stuff.

Tim