I have not practiced a lot of restraint this past year with buying Rivendell
bikes and my n+1 has increased significantly.  I currently ride a Joe, Sam and
Rambouillet. Though I can’t speak to the Roadini, Will did describe the Ram as
very similar to the Roadini but with Lugs.  In terms of ride reports, one thing
I have noticed is that Grant’s descriptions tend to be right on.  That doesn’t
stop me from reading these discussions but when I go compare my own experience
with Grant’s description, my experience supports Grant’s description.  Each
bike is set up different, which can also impact the ride.

At a high level, my Joe is setup to carry a load - often my kid and groceries.
It carries weight well.  The Sam is in between - it is not a road bike but
setup with lighter wheels and tires.  The Ram is my go fast from Scott on the
list with dura ace and Chris King wheels,

The Joe was the first bike I purchased and I loved it. My best description is
it rides like a boat, and I mean that in a good way. It is steady and smooth on
the road and leans in turns.  I can cruise along and enjoy the scenery.  It
handles dirt great does wonderful with a load.

The Sam felt like a fast bike when I got it.  It just responds faster.  It is
comfortable while still feeling like it can move.  I could probably set it up
like the Joe and it would ride different.  I am not sure what would happen if
swapped components.

The Ram does feel faster.  I wouldn’t load it up but I feel like I am moving
when I ride it and after getting used to drops again, really enjoy the ride.  I
wouldn’t want to put a kids seat on it. It feels like it wants to be a light,
go fast bike.

If I had to choose two bikes, I would choose the Sam and Ram.  I like the Joe
but I also don’t think I use it in the way I get the most value.  I might end
up selling it on the list but I also enjoy riding it with my kid. The Sam is
the perfect all rounder.  I could tour with it and probably get 90% of the use
I do with Joe if I added more racks and the child seat. I could also get the
Sam close to the Ram and make make it close the 90% of the go-fast bike.  The
Ram is a lot of fun and a great complement to the Sam.  It’s great to have a
bike that I don’t put a lot of racks on and keep stripped down. I think Grant
spoke about the Roadini in this way.

Bill’s descriptions of the Black Mountain Cycles makes me want to add another
bike to the stable.  Both the Mountain Cross and the Road bike sound great and
perhaps I would get a disc version of one of those bikes.

In short, if I had just one bike I would probably go with the Sam for its
versatility. N plus 1 is the Sam and Ram. If I added a third bike, I might go
with a Clem L in hindsight but I still love the Joe.