I'm not sure I would characterize the Roadini as fulfilling the role of a
"stripped down racing bike" at least not in the modern sense (where that
term is redundant). With room for 35mm tires and with fender braze-ons,
it's more like a regular sport touring bike from the 1960s, 1970s. And that
pound less in the frame & fork is not so much about the pound, but a
lighter, maybe livelier, more responsive bike frame. Being "way more
comfortable" on 38mm tires vs. 35mm tires is subjective, and also depends
on road surfaces and rider build and style. Since you already have a rough
and ready Joe, my vote would be for a Roadini, described by Riv as *"an
all-aroUnd, all-weatHer road Bike. it gives up nothing to modern extreme
bikes on smooth, ideal roads, and is far better in every way when
conditions are crappy. it has the classical clearances of the oldies,
higher quality overall construction, is more comfortable, and rides like a
Rivendell." *

For most U.S. paved roads a bicycle with 28-35mm tires will be just dandy.
And it may give you a little more road feel feedback, which can also
translate to the *feeling* of speed for some. And who cares how fast you
are actually going? That's one reason I love to ride at night--you
instantly go 5mph faster. Anyway, I think with a Joe and a Roadini, you've
got your bases covered nicely. My 1974 Ron Kitching can take 35mm tires and
has fender braze-ons, and I could do D2R2 with that bike no problemo. But,
although one bike is never faster than another, it does have a snappier
response when I jump the pedals hard than my bikes with bigger rubber and
stouter tubesets. Is it measurably faster? Who cares?! Riding bikes that
are different enough is what lets you know you are riding bikes that are
different. Fun!