Don’t get me wrong. I agree that a Roadini with 28mm tires, fenders, dynamo
lighting, front low rider panniers and a not-huge saddlebag could make an
awesome stealth S24O or weekend sport touring rig. I have no doubt I could pull
that off.

The OP is in Galesburg. The bike I used to have stashed in a Galesburg garage
was a 1992 RB-1. That was a stripped down racing bike and it was just dandy.
It’s a nice 70-mike out and back to Oquawka, where you can dip your front wheel
in the Mississippi River.  A stripped down race bike is all you ‘need’ for
that. If I wanted to get onto the gravel farm-roads, I’d want a little more
floatation, I think.

It depends on what the OP wants.  Both the Sam and the Roadini are terrific.
It’s easy to underestimate the touring capabilities of a Roadini and it’s easy
to underestimate the pure road bike capability of a Sam.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca