You can plug your years and dollar figures into the adjusted inflation
machine all you want. But like almost all statistics and figures having to
do with our economy, you won't get even close to the real picture. The
owners or investors of companies like bikesdirect or Public might be in it
in large part to make a buck, but anyone who thinks the smaller companies
making or designing steel frames for the U.S. market is raking in the
ducats, I suggest you go ahead and hang a shingle and see how it goes.