Lines drawn in the sand don't lead to anything; they are something.
Specialized was used to make the point that if you wander past your line in
the sand one too many times, you can become just another generic bicycle
company. Because it does not make sense to you where someone else decides
to draw their line isn't the point, is it?  Of course Rivendell could
design a disc model, and they would of course sell some, and they could
make it fit with the brand--or, more accurately, change the brand
philosophy, which has repeatedly given reasons why discs are not needed for
the company's bicycles--or indeed for the  majority of most bicycles for
most people most of the time. They have so far chosen not to make a bicycle
for those times when a disc may have an advantage. So what. Crust is Crust.
BMC is BMC. Rivendell is Rivendell. Why insist they all be uniquely the
same? Vive la différence.