Ok, here's where I stand in goathead country. Before reading Mr. Patrick
Moore's last two posts to this thread, my exasperation pushed me to order
Marathon Plus Tour 700x40 for the Hilsen. Even at the recommended minimum
pressure, these 940g behemoths felt incredibly harsh and sluggish on chip seal.
Mind you, I went to Compass on all my bikes but the Hunqa a few years ago, and
loved them, but they seem fragile for a fat guy like me. Anyway, the ride was
awful so I took Patricks advice and ordered Snoqualmie Pass, standard casing,
and went with sealant in the tubes. The tires came Friday, I mounted them
Saturday and was sooooo happy to have the sublime Compass ride again. Sunday I
went for a longer, mixed terrain ride and, of course, flatted on the front, on
the chip seal road. But with sealant I hoped to just add air and the hole would
plug. Wrong. There was sealant everywhere and when I pulled the tube, it was
just a single pin hole, but it didn't plug and hold air. I put a new tube in
and off I went. I haven't had a chance to look at the flatted tube closer, but
I will. The tube was a Kenda (heavier than the Schwalbe SV) for the 44mm
Snoqualmie, and I used 4 oz. of Orange Seal, per the instructions on the
bottle. Not sure why it didn't work, but now I'm nervous, having converted both
the Hunqa (tubed Thunder Burts)and AHH to sealant-tubed rides. Any thoughts as
to why the pinhole didn't seal? Am I doomed to a choice of heavy, sluggish
tires or constant flats?