Patrick:

Is this the second or third week with the new bike?  We all knew you
wouldn't leave things alone!  I agree the 11-32 8 speed is no good for
touring.  At least you decided to keep the triple!  I'm not qualified
to get into a theological discussion with you but I'd keep the 13.  A
bit of tailwind, a slight downgrade.  It can be handy, and will look
better than another spacer :).

dougP