The ugly crossover is why I ditched the 50/34 on my commuter, and went
back to a 46/36/24 triple.  I have no use for the 24 on my flat
commute, but the shifting pattern is nicer.  When I bought a brand-new
Campy group for my go-fast I went with 53/39 x 13-29 instead of 50/34
x 12-26 - similar gearing, but a nicer shift pattern.  The club riders
with compacts always seem to be riding cross-chained.

IMO a workable wide-range double uses the small ring only as a bail-
out for the biggest climbs, and the big ring for everything else.
Something like 44/24 x 12-xx would work pretty well for me.

Bill