I have had the same experience. I used a b-17 on my Curtlo ( now sold)
about 1 inch blow the saddle... only time it felt ok was sitting up
climbing, I took it off after a week. When I got my new Hillborne and
tried it with the bars level with the saddle... voila... I was
instantly comfortable with really no break in period.

I guess I'll have to see what to do with the new Coho when I get the
rest of the parts and build it. I own a regal that I was using on the
Curtlo. Guess I'll try that 1st.

~Mike~