Regarding the different Berthoud models, their less-expensive saddles are
not rebuildable. They are intended for OEM bikes in Europe, and they use
rivets instead of their custom bolts. At Rene Herse Cycles, we only sell
the fully rebuildable top-of-the-line models, which also seem to have the
best leather.

What I love about Berthoud is how carefully they select the parts of the
hide to make the tops, whereas most makers simply cut as many tops out of a
hide as possible. Leather is a natural product, and the knowledge of how to
orient the saddle tops on the hide so that they don't stretch or become
lopsided is a well-guarded secret. It has been handed down by generations
of leatherworkers from the old Idéale factory, who then helped Berthoud set
up their saddle production more than a decade ago after the original Idéale
production ceased.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains