Thanks for the conversation, Leah.  I am learning a lot by reading the advice
and experience from other posters.  Though I might be repeating what you’ve
already heard from others, here’s my take on your questions:
1.  I agree with the others; falls from fender jams are unlikely in your riding
conditions.  I live in the PNW and use fenders all the time.  My usual Clem
ride (with plastic fenders) is on a dirt trail that is strewn with sticks,
leaves, and blackberry vines.  Once in a while a leaf gets stuck, but I’ve
never had a jam of any kind that caused a sudden halt.
2.  I love the Selle Anatomical saddles; I’ve tried many over the years and
this was the first one that is entirely comfortable.  I have the one with the
center cut on all of my bikes and I’m happy with black.  They have black with
copper rivets as a choice.  They’ve had red ones in the past; check out the
seconds listing.  If you’re interested about how they dye them, I’d just call.
I’ve experienced great customer service from them.
3.  Those wavy silver fenders are fantastic!  They would look so good on your
blue Clem....unique, sparkly , and strong...just like you!