Whoops, didn't see this before the reply went through.

Yes, chainstays aren't the whole story. Front end geometry is a big deal
for sure but in turns above 20mph where the wheel is deflected less I think
the other elements of the geometry start to make themselves known. Not
scientific, just a certain feeling I get,

Well, here'll be an interesting experiment. I'm currently building up a
43cm Black Mtn. Monstercross. As you can see from bikeinsights here
<https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries[]=5bb29e327581960016665a33&geometries[]=5a1e39d43db1cb0014c51ab4&builds[]=&builds[]=>

it has 43cm stays, 17mm higher bottom bracket, but a pretty similar
front-end geometry with slightly higher trail. I'll be migrating the
wheelset from my Roadini so it'll be as neutral a comparison as one can
really get without making a whole new frame.