I finally concluded that the chainstays on my 61 Roadini are just a hair
too long at 46cm. I'm not opposed to longer chainstays, it's just that it
would be nice if there were a Rivendell option other than the Roadeo that
had slightly more traditional road geometry. If they had capped it at 44cm
for the large sizes or specced horizontal dropouts to allow a bit of
adjustability I probably wouldn't have a real issue with it.

I don't buy the line that wheelbase doesn't affect handling significantly.
I have an 90s road bike with 41cm stays that's exhausting to spend a long
while on. The handling feels significantly more confident to me on that
bike. I know that you can take the same lines but taking the same line on
the long-stayed bike requires a good bit more lean than the other. It makes
me a lot more hesitant to take corners as quickly on loose surfaces. Of
course once you've lost traction it's easier to control and recover from
skids with long chainstays but I'd rather not lose traction in the first
place, you know?

As someone who adjusts their bars below the saddle I'm also not really
representative of the typical Rivendell rider, though. I suppose that at
this point complaining about no shorter-chainstay'd Rivendells is like
complaining that Cervelo doesn't have a steel option any more. Both
companies once had the option for it but the type of riders they're
intended for necessarily led them away from that.