Thank you all again. I will read Jack Loudon's linked overview site before
I choose, but even with all the criticisms, Redwing still gets much praise;
will take a look at the Chukkas particularly, since these look like the
sort of shoe that the cheap Bata "Safari Boots" we grew up wearing in Kenya
ought to have been; I certainly put miles of walking and cycling in wearing
those, and of course your big game guides always work them. And they'd go
with the canvas bush hat with venting screens that we boys also wore, one
of which I mean to buy to replace my aging straw cowboy hat. (We -- teenage
boy peer group -- used to pull out the vent screens to use at the bottom of
the bowls of pot pipes we home-made from the local bamboo; the screens kept
the seeds and other debris from falling down and plugging the stem.)