Hi Patrick:

I walk a lot. Check out the Red Wing Postman Chukka model number 9196.
These (and the "Foreman Chukka" variant thereof) have been my main shoe for
the last ten years both for cyclocommuting (now resoled with stiff Vibram
neoprene soles) and for walking six miles round trip to work two or three
days a week. They take a resole nicely, and they look great. The original
crepe soles are very comfortable but also wear fairly quickly with all the
miles, hence the resoling with my local cobbler.

That said, they are great for walking on city streets, but I had a second
pair resoled with a blown rubber Vibram hiking sole. These work well for
hiking on dirt roads, but one unexpected downside - the chukka design is
loose fitting around the ankle, which is ordinarily a feature, but when you
walk on loose surfaces it is frequent that pebbles and debris get kicked up
into the collar of the shoe and end up between your foot and the insole. I
found myself stopping not infrequently to empty out my shoes. On dirt trail
hikes, I usually wear ordinary trail-running shoes (Brooks Cascadia in my
case).

James Black
Los Angeles, CA