When your body simply doesn’t play nice with “stock” geometry. For my either
too short torso or too long legs, if I choose the right top tube length i end
up with a foot of seat post and low bars without carnival stems. Pick the right
seat tube and I could achieve a racing position with even upright bars.

My Rambouillet was fortunately “under square”, TT<ST. It’s been my benchmark
for almost 20 years now.

My custom is a Coast 650B.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh