+1 to what dstein said.

My experience is that shreddability (that's a technical term) really varies
with the rider. While riding mild singletrack, my friend and fellow RBW-er
Adam L. is miles ahead of me on his full rigid Atlantis running two inch
tires while I'm on his custom hardtail. He rides trails all the time and
therefore knows how to shred an Atlantis while I only occasionally ride
trails and therefore have no idea how to shred a machine purpose-built for
shredding. If the skill gap is wide, technical bike shtuff will likely
widen it further.

All of that said, there's no reason why they couldn't go slower and y'all
could just commit to having fun together as a group. I personally just
purchased a 52cm Clem H that I'm planning to build up for some loaded dirt
touring and I don't see any reason why it couldn't handle everything I'm
interested in doing in the dirt (i.e. no rock gardens, no super-technical
aggro singletrack, downhill, etc.). Someone at Riv HQ told me they did the
Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail on a 26" wheeled Atlantis. So yeah, a lot
is possible with the right attitude, the willpower to make it work, and the
patience to enjoy yourself along the way.