All other things being equal, a hardtail will out climb a bouncy bike and a
bouncy bike will out descend a hardtail. The simple answer is, of course
you can do it. Keep in mind, you will need to ride the trails differently
than they do (Grant's ruminations on Mongolian style riding are excellent
fodder here). Where they shred, you bob and weave. You'll have as much or
more fun, and enjoy the trail in a very different way because of this.
Bottom line, absolutely, Clem can handle it. Go. Have a blast. Enlighten
your friend's ignorance. And you will have your own version of smooth
riding. Grin. Enjoy, with abandon!

With abandon,
Patrick