My admissions have more to with the growth of my bikes than mechanical lessons.
 I consider myself a complete novice when I started my own maintenance and
repairs.  With low or no expectations one can expect mistakes and simply learn
from them.  Fortunately none of my maintenance has cost me financially really.
Now regarding hunting and finding jumbo Rivendells that fit my almost 100PBH
measurement I make mistakes all the time justifying the next addition due to
their rarity and long stretches of nothing coming up for sale.
Several times I have justified a purchase telling myself I would sell 1 or 2
off following the new purchase.
Now I realize my failure at following through with that behavior.  The new plan
is to sell first before purchasing a new jewel when it presents itself.
I have a special credit union checking account earning 3% interest linked to a
Paypal account which is the new criteria I use for new bike desires.  No money
no bike/wheels/parts/etc.
Since bikes are my main vice in retirement I feel ok with my childlike wanting
desires and have a mature adult like check and balance system.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan