I’ve tried so many different “light” locks and component securing devices
(from cheap to really expensive) that I can hardly remember them all. What
I found out is that I’m unable to relax whenever I use one of them because
of their inherent lower security. My current choices: Hexlox in all of the
main component Allen bolts; Hexlox locking skewers; *two* U locks (small
one through the rear triangle and rear wheel, and a larger one through the
small U and around whatever I’m locking it to). In the end, the small
amount of weight is worth it for the additional security and peace of mind.
I’m still careful about stops and store my bikes indoors at home and
whenever I can on rides, but I’ve stopped obsessing about every new
ultralight lock that hits the market. I use two locks because one larger U
lock always seems to be a pain to fit around my bike rear triangle and what
it’s being locked to. The really small ones can also be quite difficult to
cut or break due to limited access, so a cut-and-ride-away or
opportunity-type thief is either stymied or slowed long enough to encourage
them to move on to another target.