@Clark I really appreciate the advice, and having already had several bikes
come and go that just didn't quite fit the bill, I know you're right. I
could certainly scrimp and save or add to a bike fund by flipping some
vintage restorations as another user suggested, to pull the cash together
for the dream bike. But I guess what I mean when I say that I'm not in a
position to afford it isn't just that I couldn't get the money but that
even if I did, there's no way I could bring myself to drive something so
valuable through the salt and snow on my commutes or lock it up while I
pick up groceries or go to the bar. I would just worry about it constantly.
And since I really only have room for one commuter/all 'rounder at the
moment I think I'm going to keep it something just nice enough that I enjoy
riding it but not so nice that I'm stressed about it when out of sight.
Maybe that's the wrong philosophy though? Would love to hear from others
who do see their Rivs as commuters.

And as for the dynamo wheelset, lol thanks for the offer but I already have
a hub and light. I just need to get around to lacing it up. Maybe some time
next week.