This is the story of my life, circa 1990 until circa 2012 (tho' the bike
building begins far earlier; built my first bike from scratch -- bought
frame and scavenged parts in high summer -- Nov/Dec, southern hemisphere!
-- 1970). Buy cheap, upgrade at huge cost, sell cheaper, repeat until you
have spent a great deal of $$ and the lesson has sunk in.

Now I am in the enviable position of owning only bikes that are customs or
ones selected and refurbished according to my own wishes. It would have
been cheaper to go custom from the beginning -- except for the fact that I
learned what I want by making all those mistaken upgrades in the first
place.