I agree. If you plan to ride the bike through "salt and snow" and lock it
up outside public buildings, then it makes sense to use a less expensive
frame.

As for the XO-2 versus Expedition, I prefer the looks of the the
Expedition, but, again, for "salt and snow," the XO-2 may be the better
choice, as it can take wider tires. The tight clearance on the Expedition
could be frustrating. And the XO-2 still looks nice, eg,

https://www.cycleexif.com/bridgestone-xo-2

Grant Petersen designed the XO-2 for his own mixed surface commute, so in a
way, it's really a commuter bike, which is what you are after.