I agree with many of the responses, especially Jason’s:
- The Hillborne rides smoother
- The Hillborne tracks nicer
- The Hillborne feels more intuitively responsive

I had a Cross Check with mustache bars for a couple of years as my “discount
Riv wannabe” and was never thrilled with the ride.  It always felt a little
dead to me.  I also spent a lot of money trying to make it more Riv-like
including buying a new fork to get the bars up higher.  That made it look
ridiculous but was more comfortable.  When I finally bought my Hillborne, I
regretted the time and money I wasted on the Surly.  I learned a lot about
modifying a bike, but that was an expensive lesson.  The Hillborne’s ride was
SO MUCH nicer.  It is much more stable and responsive (without being at all
twitchy).  It is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned.  It could handle a
slightly wider tire (45s on the Sam, 42s on the CC) .  And, as an added bonus,
no more toe-verlap.  I had a lot of problems with that on the Cross Check.

Wish I’d just bought the Hillborne first for many more years of more enjoyable
riding.

John
Niles, CA