With respect to visibility and lighting, I read somewhere that overall
visibility is correlated with the size of the light, rather than its
intensity. This made sense to me because lights don't have infinite energy
supplies, so your 1 watt of LED light energy can be concentrated into one
small cone (beam?) of retina-searing capability, or diffused into a
wide-angle slab that has a higher chance of being noticed by those who are
not exactly in the cone of blindness. In fact, all motorized vehicles
appear to have the diffused type of light, even if some can be diffused
*and* bright.

The usual light marketing copies often remind me of way back, when
computers were marketed solely on their clock speed instead of actual
ability to function in a useful manner. We see lumen being bandied about
all the time to sell lights, but that is a fairly useless metric because
having a lot of light doesn't mean that light is being put to good use;
what's useful is lux at a specific distance (let's say 10m), like with
StVZO standards.

But all of these are passive devices. What we really need are more active
mechanisms, like higher driver proficiency and awareness. I've read
somewhere that the #1 safety factor for cyclists (as far as bicycle-car
interaction) is drivers actually looking for cyclists. Andy Cheatham kind
of eluded to this with the discussion of "vast image with lots of
complexity that can be data overload". I often bring in the example
<https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo> where one will not register something that
the brain is not primed to look for, even if one technically sees it. To
address this will require more cyclist presence on the road to acclimate
drivers, and that won't happen unless drivers are acclimated and thus
present less of an apparent risk to cyclist. So Catch-22.