I agree that the design looks very close to the Avid Shorty. I still plan
to buy a pair, if they aren't too expensive.

I like that Riv is offering more original parts and tools. I think this
could be a growth area for them, especially the tools, which usually sell
out instantly. And since their frame designs have begun to diverge from my
tastes -- eg, I am disappointed the new Hillborne will have ball and socket
seat stay ends and longer chainstays -- the parts and tools give me a way
to keep supporting them.