My experience is similar to Shoji's. I've tried so many different things,
and most work fine in most conditions. I like the front basket and
saddlebag for riding mild singletrack.

On my Atlantis I've been riding more S24O's involving singletrack, which is
different from riding on the open road. Panniers would get hung up on rocks
in this terrain, particularly lowrider panniers. I've been carrying a light
load, maybe 10-15 pounds, balanced between the front basket and large rear
saddlebag. The front load helps with steep dirt climbing, as my front end
doesn't wander all over the place like with a rear load. My bike handles
more precisely when the front load is strapped tight to a stiff rack.

I use a long tail cargo bike to carry heavy stuff. It's on another level,
and I roll with close to the max 400 lbs rider + bike + passengers + cargo
weight regularly.