I strongly prefer weight on the front, but when rear racks all follow
pretty much the same design and can be had for less than $50, it's hard to
argue with it from a utility standpoint. My Clem that I share with my
partner has a standard (albeit silver) rear rack and a Velo Orange front
rack with the standard wald basket attached. I usually toss an LL Bean tote
bag in there with my stuff, and use a Carradice bag off the back for
carrying extra clothing, flat kit, pump, etc.

My favorite setup is a front rack with a basket platform and lowriders,
like the Velo Orange or Nitto campeur style racks. Nothing beats a big
pannier full of produce mounted right near the front hub for adding
stability to the bike. And, at $200-350, fancy front racks like this are
worth outfitting 4-6 bikes with standard rear racks!