I tried the Deore level RR RD on my commuter after hearing all the
platitudes. Meh. That was about it for me.

Always shifted wrong on first grab of the bar end shifter, muscle memory is
like Sharpie writing in this case. I probably would adapt easier to
switching sides of controls for both brakes and derailleurs before I
normalized the intuitive presumption of which way on the shifter. It was
the first derailleur I ever used that wore out the upper jockey wheel
bearing to 15-20° play/lean to either side. All speculation excepthat it
was a Rapid Rise format and it's upper wheel failed with remarkably low
miles. Confusing, short life span? You know how I've voted.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh