Not of the reach of your Sam but my Rambouillet was considered to be a
pretty far reach bike, specified for the longest reach caliper out there at
the time which was a non-group Shimano part. They were fine and I replaced
stock pads with something similar when necessary but I was alarmed by a
long descent in pouring rain that came up during a local charity ride. It
was like there was no braking at all.

I went beyond different pads and got a set of Paul Racer center pulls
center mount version with the salmon pads and all is well. I have to admit
I was in the market for more clearance around the tires so I could better
size fenders to cover the 32mm tires that I found made the bike handle its
best. Midlife crisis for my Ram: new calipers, 32mm RH EL tires and fenders
that covered them with adequate clearance and didn't rattle during braking.

I didn't undo the bars either, just modified the housing run and stop at
the seat tube lug and replaced the cable. There's some Rambouillet in the
Sam's blood.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh