I love the idea of downtube shifters; simplicity, good looks, easy packing,
disassembly, and repair, etc. However, as soon as I'm off road, bar-end
shifters become much nicer and down tube is a giant pain.

Right now, I have downtube shifters on my Ram. However, I'm still getting
my bars and stem length set up. Once I have a setup that I like, I might
move my shifters. I think the plan is to just use DTs until they drive me
crazy... then I'll switch ;)

Ben