I agree with all that has been said so far.  I have a Shimano dynohub, an
SP dyno and an SON.  The Shimano is known to have slightly more drag than
the SON and the SP is pretty close to the SON. I have been commuting on my
Shimano for years (and previously on the SP for years on another bike) with
no problems, but it doesn't get cold in CA and it doesn't rain that much. I
would go with the SON for weather-related reasons (as mentioned earlier)
and style-related--it looks nicer, but I don't think sturdiness of wheel or
reliability is a major concern (unless you are really hard on your wheels),
as all of these hubs have been ridden for thousands of miles and I have not
heard of any spoke/hub breaks or other issues from any of the brands.

The only other reason for the SON that I can think of is if you are riding
at your limit or where a few extra minutes and slightly less effort means
getting more rest on a long ride (e.g. a brevet), then that would be worth
it for me (I have one on my rando bike--the extra bling doesn't hurt too
:-).

Toshi in Oakland, CA