George,
Wait, is this Annie Oakley stuff directed at me? If so, I find your comments
bordering on mean, but I’ll try to remain objective here. The point of my club
ride posts is meant to be that one does not have to conform to the preconceived
notions embraced in bike clubs everywhere: that if you don’t look the part and
ride a certain bike, you can’t keep pace.

For a rider like me, joining a club ride can be uphill battle, right from the
time you roll into the parking lot. Despite the “experts” saying you can’t hang
with a group and ride a heavy bike, a bike with swept back bars, flat pedals,
blah blah blah, I’m doing it and I’m not slowing us down. I’m not saying drop
bars are bad and should be tossed out. I AM saying you can ride Billie Bars and
still be fast. The point is not to negate drop bars and carbon bikes; the point
is to show that there is room for variety in club rides. It might even be
healthy. The club riding crowd can be awfully dogmatic, and even condescending
(though most of my fellow riders are kind souls). I would hope my exploits
might be a bit refreshing.

But to your point, who here has ridden both types of bikes and can honestly say
which is faster? Maybe it *is* the drop-bar, short wheelbased bike, but I’ve
never ridden one, so I can’t say.