It’s nice when we can ride our preferences and at least not denigrate other
preferences. I found Rivendell because I was having terrible neck pain.
Anything low (most bikes/stems) had me cranking my neck. Anything aluminum
was jarring. **I didn’t know there were other options.** Until…

I now ride happily pain free on my upright Rivendells, about the same lean
as recommended in the article.  I have multiple hand positions on my Billie
and albatross bars but never use them.  I see the roses rather than wizzing
by them.   It comes down to goals and wants.

About a month ago I went on a hot 90* “D” ride to the bike club picnic and
although everyone had kits and drop bars , they were a nice group and
friendly to me. We went at a C+ pace because we all could go that speed.  I
told them I’m a weak rider especially on hills, just in case I needed to
hike a bike. I was one of the first up the hills, although I didn’t care if
I was up front; I just didn’t want to hike a bike.

One older guy had really skinny tires was humped over his bike and probably
weighed over 250 lbs. His buddy said he should bring water on the ride. No,
it weighs too much, he said. (I’m not kidding.).  I’m sure I had a more
comfortable ride.

 I sure had fun though talking with everyone and I’ll join the group again
once once the temps lower.