Doug

It sounds like the FD does not move far enough to the inside to shift to
the granny of a triple with the low adjustment screw all the way out.  A
possibility is your FD is designed for a front chain line greater than you
actual front chain line.   FD have about 20mm of sideway motion and if the
front chain lines are mismatched AND the crank ring spacing is > 5mm, the
FD can move to the granny.

Suggestion:
Measure the front chain line to the middle chain ring and compare it to the
design value for the FD
Measure the front chain line of the granny ring.  If the middle - granny is
> 5mm (like 7 to 8 mm on a Sugino XD/TD crank you may have a problem.

Possible solution:  Get an old triple FD designed for a 45 mm front chain
line, like a FD-MT-60 form the 80's.  I bought a Sora FD-3030b (9spd) with
a FCL of 45m and it shifts a Sugino TD-2 46-36-26 with problem.  The
XT-FD-M781-AX6S had a FCL of about 50mm and could not shift to the 28T
granny.  TD-2 ring spacing is 8mm Outer to Middle and 5mm Inner to Small.
 I bought the Sora from Universal Cycles  for $34.88.  My FD-MT60 also
shifted it fine, part of a Biopace crank on a 88 Schwinn Voyaguer.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ