Brian,

Yes.. I hesitated a moment on the recommendation for that point, and I too
consider it an important topic - I didn't realize until after I owned it
and had used it - but also didn't want to send your topic into too much of
a tangent :)

Several of my riding buddies have the Cleverhood poncho and love it. My
partner has a waxed canvas poncho from Bramble and Mr Twigg but it hasn't
seen much use yet to comment on performance. Avoiding plastics is a
priority for me as much as possible, but the heavier weight of waxed canvas
isn't ideal for a poncho imo.