I've used rain capes for a good 10 years, and they're great except in
sidewind. The ventilation can't be beat. With a sidewind, turning feels a
lot more like coming about in a sailboat. I stopped using them because I
started riding my road bikes off pavement a lot, and full fenders kept
making noise or getting in the way.  With mountain bike style clip on
fenders rain capes just don't work as well. Modern rain suits are now much
more breathable than they used to be so I've gotten used to them as a
compromise.