I use Paul thumbies and flat bars on my Bleriot with a reg'lar
derailer, and it's fine. I take it off road all the time. In fact, I'm
about to take delivery of a custom Sycip 650B XC hardtail, and it will
have Thumbies and a regular derailer as well.

Also, you don't take your hand off the grip to shift to a different
gear. If you're taking your hands off to shift, your setup isn't
correct.

Just go with what you're familiar with. With any iota of finesse, you
can shift with either type of derailer.

-Gino