Funny, didn't have any problems shifting over to low-normal.  Two of
my three shifter bikes are set up that way.  Strangely enough, my "off
road" bike is the only one without that setup.  And I do have to be
more careful during shifts on climbs with that bike. (But that is the
factory build.)

Now, maybe the front is more problematic, but it was easy for me with
the rear.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN